Found these notes from EMC World 2013 and decided to publish them even though the next EMC World is coming up soon.
This session was presented by Sunil Sharma, Principal Product Manager D2.
D2 4.1 has been released.
Talks about the move away from coding towards configuration. Move from efforts share of 20% configuration and 80% development to the opposite.
Highligthing the following benefits:
- Faster delivery (from weeks to hours)
- Lower risk (avoid long build & test cycles)
- More responsiveness (Deploy/Configure/Run)
- Expanded foot print (broader use)
- More Compelling personalized and streamlined applications
Value for Documentum D2:
- Intelligence (content rules without coding)
- Agility (easy to build and deploy)
Focus for the D2 4.1 release:
- Enhanced usability (a broader set of advanced document management and content control capabiliites
- Integration and interoperability
- Collaboration (on content using discussions on content and native annotation capabilities in MS Word.
- Extensibiity (custom widgets with two-way applications)
- Ënterprise focus (link admins to a limited set of applications)
Distribution is similar to quickflow from Webtop/DAM.
Features that I like are managing relationships, mass update of properties, saved search, faceted search, virtual document editing and document comparison.
Custom widgets can be developed. Listeners can be developed by customers around widgets provided by EMC. Make it possible to “catch” certain criteria of what is happening in an EMC Widget.
Example of custom PDF viewer where clicking on a Word-document shows the PDF rendition in a viewver. Also an example of showing diagrams and pie charts based on data in the repository such as values of certain attributes.
Cool example of creating a virtual folder structure based on attributes. Also example with maps where clicking on a document repositions the map and where searching for a city in the map updates the list of documents based on selected geolocation.
Possible to leverage the D2 rules engine in other application through D2FS API.
What is coming in 4.2:
- Advanced doc management (drag & drop, extracting properties from email, advanced “email as link” with possibilities to pass queries and settings in the URL, content linking, bulk import with metadata in either .csv or .xml)
- Search (nested facets, search summaries and term hit-highlighting)
- Usability (iPad support)
- Enterprise focus (HTTP transfer of files, context sensitive widgets)
- Enterprise configuration (new abilities to secure a configuration from unwanted changes and preserving configurations using version control.
Simplified content creation process to be able to skip certain parts of the import process if you have a default configuration for each step or silent it.
Themes for future releases:
Pervasive Business Rules
Solution Platform Harmonization – D2 is the UI for content-centric applications. The idea is to use xCP to compose widgets and use them in D2. The page in xCP can be exposed in D2 either as a widget or a workspace.
Collaboration (D2 will replace Centerstage and eRoom).